Let’s first find out what phobia really means. Phobia is a persistent and unfounded fear of certain phenomena, subjects, situations, actions. Many people who suffer from one or another phobia experience fear even when they think of subjects or phenomena that cause fear. However, they are usually able to feel quite comfortable until obsessive thoughts are avoided. Most phobias addicts are fully aware that most of their fears are illusory and obsessive. It should be assumed that the phobia is not an ordinary fear of the unknown, inherent in natural instinct as a protective safeguard against external threatening factors. The internal phobia is characterized by causelessness and obsession. Experts cannot currently say with absolute accuracy where phobias come from; although, at the same time, identified as the cause of the interaction of heredity and the environment.
So, what universal and effective tips should be used to overcome all types of phobias? Here is a list of the main and most relevant. The most important thing is to use them comprehensively and purposefully.
- The primary link to overcoming personal fears and imposed phobias is self-awareness of their existence. Unfortunately, under pressure from society, many people refuse to claim the problem.
- For the purpose of psychosomatic unloading it is useful to apply psychological techniques, in particular relaxation and meditation; the only caveat will be to consult a specialist who will provide correct advice.
- Accentuation is one of the important components in overcoming phobias. Overcoming fears sometimes means not fighting them, but focusing on things that bring peace of mind and satisfaction. To do this, you should ask yourself about your own hobbies, ideas, from which comes harmony, peace and comfort. Concerned about your own ideas, you can forget about the fears that have entered the life cycle.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) – one of the fundamental techniques in the fight against phobias, as it contains a method of overcoming conscious and unconscious negative beliefs that lead to increased levels of anxiety, neurosis, panic and anxiety; using this technique should be carefully consulted with specialists
- Drug treatment is also on our list; at the same time, it should be said that medications do not eliminate the causes of stress and phobias. Prescribed drugs serve only as a comprehensive method to all of the above advice, and overcome only the effects of phobias associated with disorders of the nervous or cardiovascular system.
In any case, no matter how much humanity suffers from various fears, it should be remembered that life gives different colors of its beauty; the most important task is to neutralize as much as possible all external and internal factors that prevent seeing the whole spectrum of beauty, as well as one’s own place in it.
Yulia Klimarchuk – student of the University “Academy of Recreational Technologies and Law”